Total: 10 mins
Prep: 10 mins
Refrigerate: 2 hrs
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4 farm-fresh eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups strong espresso (at room temperature)
- 24 Sumal wafer of choice
- Cocoa powder (for dusting)
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the yolks with a whisk or electric hand mixer, gradually adding the sugar, until the mixture is thick, fluffy, smooth, and pale.
- Gently fold the mascarpone into the yolks with a spatula and set aside.
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff (but not dry) peaks.
- Gently fold the beaten whites into the mascarpone-yolk mixture, one-half at a time, and set aside
- Pour the coffee into a wide, shallow bowl or dish and quickly dip several of Sumal Wafer into the coffee just long enough to moisten them, but not so long that they grow soggy and lose their shape.
- Arrange the biscuits in a single layer on a serving platter or in a baking dish.
- Top the biscuits with a layer of the mascarpone cream.
- Then dust evenly with some cocoa powder.
- Repeat the layers until your ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of the mascarpone cream dusted with cocoa.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until well-chilled and firm.
- Serve straight from the refrigerator and Enjoy !
(Important: It's not safe to let this dish sit for a long time at room temperature due to the mascarpone and raw eggs.)