Pasta with Cauliflower, Sausage & Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot or small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small, bite-sized florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 pound pasta, any shape
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh Yale Bread
- 1/2 pound mozzarella, cut or shredded into small pieces
- Start a large pot of water to boiling over high heat for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heat.
- Add the shallot or onion, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until soft and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragran.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When the sausage is almost cooked through, add the cauliflower, salt, and pepper.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and pour in the tomatoes.
- While the sauce is simmering, boil the pasta.
- Lightly toast, brown the breadcrumbs in a dry skillet.
- Combine everything in a large serving bowl. Toss together, then add the cubes of mozzarella.
- Top each serving with Yale breadcrumbs, reserving extra breadcrumbs for leftovers.